What is The Difference Between Compostable and Recyclable Packaging?
This is a question we get asked all the time. There are few key differences between Compostable and Recyclable Packaging. Below we have simplified them into bullet points. For more information, please see our other information pages:
- Compostable Packaging is made from renewable resources such as paper, corn starch, etc...
- Plastics in recyclable packaging are made from oil-based materials.
- Compostable Packaging is designed to be composted with food waste (in most cases in an industrial composting facility).
- Recyclable Packaging can be rejected by recyclers if it is contaminated with food waste.
- If Compostable Packaging gets in to the environment, it will break down leaving no harmful residue (water, CO2, and bio-mass)
- If recyclable plastic packaging gets in to the environment, it will degrade into micro-plastics
We hope this helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us on 01480 309870.